Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The irresistible force met the immovable object...

Bike blog :: A bunch of random stuff

[Gear]
Still working it all out, figuring out what works and what does not.  What I need, what I can spare and what I should not do anymore. Got some better lights, got some better under-layers, getting a better backpack so I can stop fighting with a 10 pound messenger bag trying to work its way under my arm while I'm trying to not crash speeding down a giant hill or working my ass off trying to climb one.

Dug out an REI rain jacket we got for Anthony on one of his camping trips - I hadn't even considered using it before and it turns out it's probably the best designed jacket I've ever worn.  Not only is it waterproof, windproof, lightweight and full of pockets, zippers and cords right where I need them - it's probably warmer than some of my winter coats when it's all closed up.  Score.

[The route]
I was using the iPhone to track my ride, or my iPod timer to track my time and I think I'm going to quit that.  If I arrive where I'm going on time, then I made my ride in good time.  But tracking my ride had caused me to adjust my route a few times and I've been happy going back to the first one I had.
The fastest route I found was straight up our street to Lyndale and then straight up that to HUGE - which is BORING AS HELL.  Plus I think the fact that the majority of the hills and hard parts of the ride were still in the same city where I started made it feel endless and I would dread it.  Whereas I can head south on Xerxes and, after a gauntlet of senior citizens around Southdale, be in Edina and then into Minneapolis.
Not only does it get me to some more bike-friendly streets faster, it feels like I'm making progress going from one area to the next, as opposed to just grinding it out in Bloomington on streets I am all too familiar with and then finally hitting Minneapolis for the last 8-10 minutes of the ride.

[Trying not to become one of THOSE assholes]
I have had so few good experiences dealing with hardcore bikers - from people that feel the need to tell me that I don't need a car based on the fact that they don't need a car, the pricks that I encounter when driving to the complete and total assholes that seem to make up the Critical Mass rides...and yes, that's from direct experience with some of them, person-to-person. I don't dislike the organization or the idea behind it. But man...if you're looking for a horrible public face to put on a cause, they would be a great example.  Anyhow.
I drive and I bike - I have been trying to bike more because it's better for me, I save money and I am enjoying it.  I also drive because I have a family, job and things that sometimes require a vehicle.  When I bike I try to keep in mind the things I experience as a driver and vice versa - and I think it would be good for everyone that bikes regularly to be required to get behind the wheel every so often.  It would make them better cyclists and hopefully make some of them realize when they're being pricks.

Just a couple examples - I mean you, girl in all black with no lights on riding at 1am that screamed at me when I was pulling out into traffic.  I wasn't ignoring you because I'm an asshole that thinks he owns the road and has no respect for bikes. You were invisible.  And a fucking idiot.
And you, biker that was weaving back and forth across the center lane traffic, pedaling at a leisurely pace to piss off drivers and then getting pissed and giving them the finger if they dared lay on the horn at you while you were riding next to - but never inside of - the bike lane.
I know cyclists that lobby for that stuff, work to get it put in place so they can be safe and have their space on the road.  You're not helping them. In fact, you're working against them.  And being an asshole on top of it.
And finally - the guy on Lake street at during rush hour.  I was two cars behind you for over a mile, all the cars around you were being respectful, sharing the road and there were no problems.  Until you stopped at a green light.  Then people got on their horns, which made instantly turn around, give them the finger and yell something about "having the right to be on the road" - which wasn't the issue at all.  You. stopped. at. a. green. light.
Drivers were using the only tool a car has to tell you to do something differently. Not every horn means "get off the road" and sometimes you're at fault, moron. Consider it before you get into your self-righteous stance with your middle finger out.

Assholes:  Stop it.  You're not helping anyone.  You are behaving like entitled brats that can't handle the responsibility of being on the road.

Not everyone in a car is anti-biker.  Some of them are bikers and really fucking aware and courteous drivers that are sick of being lumped in with you when they're on their bikes and yelled at by you when they're behind the wheel.
I try to be a courteous biker, as a result.  I see drivers doing some of the same things I do when I navigate around bikes and I try to react accordingly and be aware of what they can/can't see, how much room they need,  maybe even smile and wave when someone scoots over to give me room at a light or is aware enough to wave me through when they're turning so I know they see me.
We can all share better. When someone is doing it poorly shouldn't be the only time you communicate with the people you're sharing the road with.

[Driving]
I have crossed that weird threshold with exercise where I get antsy when I can't do it - so now when I end up having to drive on a day I could bike it bums me out.  That's a good thing, I suppose.  I still haven't reached the point where I can make it through a ride on a cold, windy morning without thinking I should just pull over, call my wife and have her come pick me up.   I haven't done it yet, but it's been close a couple times.
Trying to balance the things I need to do that require a car with wanting to bike every time I'm not going to Plymouth to work has kind of sucked and is getting in the way of some things.  I would really like to get some sheets of masonite and some 5 gallon buckets of paint for the theater but that falls into the category of "need a car" that the hardcore assholes swear doesn't exist.
Still working on that one.  Pretty happy with all the progress above, though.



No comments: