Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I said I must be fine because my heart's still beating

I wanted to try and actually capture some of this while it was happening - if nothing else, this blog can serve as One Man's Descent Into Madness as things get less and less coherent over the hours....

Tuesday night was an absolute blast - it was strange, as it didn't feel like a marathon yet and most of the evening was over perfectly normal improv hours, it wasn't until Mustache Rangers had the punchiest set I have ever seen them do that it really started to sink in.

The Minneapples arrived at 8am for their set, thanks to the generous donations of everyone Tuesday night - they were unanimously voted for by those in attendance so we got to see the "before" and "after" of a Minneapples sleepover.  It was STRANGE.

Then into a bat with Batarang -  better to sit in the dark in the morning when everyone is having coffee than in the middle of the night when eyelids get heavy.
Miss Coco Belle did her pageant-improv set, in case your morning wasn't uncomfortably weird enough yet and now Bunnies In A Cup are absolutely killing a musical form at 9:30am.  All of this just goes to show what it is I love about this place and this art - it is stranger than you could ever predict, the performers are some of the most quietly talented people I have ever met and the performances are far more funny and beautiful than you could possibly prepare yourself for.

Wednesday mid-day has been unusual - on a normal night it can feel awkward for everyone involved when you perform for 2 or 3 people in the house, during the Improv A Thon it's been remarkably fun and casual and never lacking energy.  We know people have jobs and things they have to take care of on a Wednesday afternoon and we appreciate the Iron Audience Members that have been here watching all the madness we are churning out.
Bree, Krefting and Sid - we love you guys.
The numbers in the room have ebbed and flowed but things have never dragged.
Time has ceased to have any meaning for a couple times when I was shocked to walk into the lobby and see daylight - when you're doing what you would normally do at 10pm, with people that you normally only see around 10pm it can be easy to forget that's actually 11 o clock in the morning!

I will end up posting a recap and thank you with the results on the HUGE blog, since it's official business and all, but there is a personal side as well - with personal thanks in order.
Tane Danger came up with this idea and as soon as he did it made so much sense.  He was absolutely right on about the vibe of the event and the whole day and I'm glad he saw what we should be doing well in advance instead of us waiting until too close to the day and suddenly saying "y'know what we SHOULD do?!?" - what little planning and organizing time we had was because he put us in motion early.

Molly Chase is amazing.  Any time I say "planning" or "organizing" you can assume I mean Molly Chase.  She's our Managing Director out of the goodness of her heart and the extra time and work she has put into this in addition to putting HUGE Theater on track is truly stunning.

I just came off stage for the .... seventh time today and there are only 5 hours and some change left to go before I get to wearily try and express my deep, deep gratitude to everyone that make HUGE a place where things like this happen.

On top of all the other amazing things I have gotten to see and be part of today, Ferrari McSpeedy is on our stage and Splendid Things is up next.  Find me a better line up and I will tell you that you are mistaken.

I am the luckiest idiot there is.

1 comment:

Bree said...

Aw geez. We love you!!