Sunday, June 19, 2011

Up all night, trying to make it right...but as it demands we keep it movin' at the speed of life

And the birthday death-march trudges to a halt ::

June is always insane around our house.
First my lovely wife has a birthday, followed immediately by the twins' birthday(s) the next day and there's a little bit of breathing time before mine rolls around, which is usually in close proximity to Father's Day so I get a little extra in the middle of the month to send me out to face the oncoming Improv Festival with some momentum.

So yes, today was/is my birthday and Father's Day - and it was wonderful. Solid wonderful.

The wife got reservations to a kick ass restaurant for last night and I ate ridiculously good food - anchovy and avocado bruschetta, foie gras stuffed pasta and a big plate of meat to top it all off. I was allowed to sleep in and let the inevitably food-coma pass this morning and spent a nice brunch in Uptown with all three of my boys and my lovely wife for Father's Day. It was great.

After that it was a day on the couch, playing the new Super Mario Bros on the Wii (that game is stupidly addictive) and snoozing occasionally. I love having a day where the answer to most of my requests and questions is "Whatever you want, today is your day" - I'm sure there's some fable or parable or something that illustrates how I would get sick of this or it would be less special or whatever if it happened every day but I am willing to risk it.

Tomorrow the wife is back to her newfound jet-set working life and I will be running the kids to their respective summer camps and scurrying about getting ready for the aforementioned improv festival but today is nothing but tranquil. I know there's a bunch of loose ends and stress and problems and questions waiting for me when I go back to the real world tomorrow and the answer will almost never be "Whatever you want" but I still have a few hours left and I am going to enjoy them.

I am one lucky dad/husband/clown and I am happy as hell.
See me tomorrow and I will still have the leftover silly grin to get me through the teeth-grinding stress.

No comments: